Key Points | Questions | Examples
How can you create transitions between elements and relationships which are smooth?
A transition is the process or a period of changing from one state or condition to another, through which related elements might pass. The word smooth takes on many different meanings in different contexts and proximities. For example, smooth can refer to even and regular, without problems or difficulties, and/or without harshness or bitterness. A smooth transition often honors the integrity of the elements in the the proximity of the situation. Given the Rank Depends ProxPattern, a transition may seem smooth in some proximities and rough in others.
Relate Other PPs
The ProxPatterns are an integrated group of related patterns for relating to situations. By the Limits of One, any single ProxPattern has limits. In your proximity or situation, how does this ProxPattern relate to others?
1. For your situation, in the proximity generally or more specifically in ProxSets,
2. Possibly in relationship with other PPs,
3. To help with the Core Idea,
4. How can you create transitions between elements and relationships which are smooth?
The elements or relationships are still distinct in a smooth transition, but you hardly notice the transitions. In other words, the elements don't merge, yet you are not so aware of where they begin and end.
• What new elements or relationships might you introduce to smooth a transition?
• What process or period of changing from one state or condition to another must your elements or relationships pass through?
• How can you let many elements remain mostly as they are, yet relate other elements so that transitions are hardly noticeable?
• Some conditions of smoothness include: even and regular, without problems or difficulties, and/or without harshness or bitterness. What do they suggest for transitions between elements?
• How could you change elements, relationships or the proximity so that transitions seem to vanish?
• If elements are very different from each other, how might you make their differences less dramatic, noticeable or obvious?
• What does the Honor Integrity ProxPattern suggest to you about how to make smoother transitions?
• What transitions might seem abrupt in some proximities or ProxSets, yet smooth for the proximity of your situation?
Satisfying conversations often seem to move effortlessly between topics. There aren’t many awkward moments. How do the participants manage this? They have learned how to relate to many different, even unexpected elements, and can thus make smooth transitions between them.
Elections in Democracy
One of the innovative features of democracy is the peaceful transfer of power, via elections. This is also a wonderful example of a smooth transition.
Design of a Chair
A great chair hardly seems like a chair at all. It relates elements in the proximity with smooth transitions. It provides the appropriate support in the appropriate places. It is adjustable and repositionable where it needs to be, and for different users. The transitions between elements are almost invisible: from a part of the body to clothing to chair fabric to cushion material to support structure to floor; from impulse to adjustment to new position; from standing to sitting; from one person to the next person.
For more examples, see Combo PPs, Limits PPs, Pure PPs and ProxPatterns.
Key Points | Questions | Examples
|You're in User Area
Go to Intro Area
A Taste of
Dec. $0 of $2.4K
Dec. 16, 2022